Monday, February 3, 2014

Nah Girl, You're Good



...I didn't do so well in January (evident here and here and here), so I'm kicking it into high gear for February. I figure it's a short month so the end will always be in sight. AND! Most importantly! I'm cruising to Europe in March, where I plan on indulging to my little heart's content. A constant flow of chocolate croissants and French wine should be sufficient...

Anyway, I started a pretty intense diet on Saturday. The first one of my life, actually. It literally goes against EVERYTHING in my nature to deny myself bread, wine and especially cheese, but - if you can believe it - it's actually easier than going to the gym on a regular basis... That right there says a lot about my aversion to exercise. Oy. 

Here is my first diet-approved meal:

Lettuce Wraps!

Start by getting all your fixins ready...


I used:
1 pound of ground turkey
1 onion
A handful of chopped green onion
2 garlic cloves
1 head of lettuce
Olive Oil
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Chili flakes
Salt
Pepper

Get those onions in the pan with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, and start sauteing!


Since onions take the longest, I then get to work on everything else...

Chop up the green onions:


Ew, raw meat...


Get the meat ready by breaking it up a bit with a fork and sprinkling all the seasonings on it
(salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili flakes)

Next, get your lettuce head out and start making the little boats...
I chopped off the bottom and then cut a little hole to really break up the root. This seemed to make pulling apart the leaves much easier.

**I made the near fatal mistake of buying a head of CABBAGE. Cabbage does not work... It is too hard and doesn't break up easily and it's just all around weird in lettuce wraps. Don't make this mistake! It's called 'Lettuce Wraps' for a reason! Just get lettuce!**


Ok, by now your onions should be nice and soft. Mince up your garlic and throw it in for a minute or so, until you can really start to smell it cooking...


After the onions and garlic were all cooked up, I scooped them out of the pan and into a giant bowl and threw in the ground turkey.


Get it good and brown and then add it to the onion and garlic bowl and toss in the green onions.


I added some Sriracha...


And some toasted sesame seeds...
(I just happened to have these in the cupboard? Also, they made it seem more Asian-y)


I DESPERATELY wanted to add soy sauce, but my diet is actually a "detox" and soy isn't allowed :(
I would advise it though. It would still be a healthy meal!

Mix it all up!


Assemble...


Enjoy!


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment