Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Detox Diet Soup

So, I'm back in my skinny jeans - hooray! It's good to know that all my hard work (a.k.a. deprivation) has paid off. It's also a lot easier to stay on track once you realize that all this green tea and quinoa business is actually changing your body. I made this soup over the weekend and it was a hit amongst Detox Dieters AND those still indulging in every food group!

Looks good right??


(It's basically just chicken noodle soup... shhh)


OK, so, instead of just making regular chicken, I decided to make chicken meatballs - I had watched Barefoot Contessa that morning and she made Italian Wedding soup and it looked seriously amazing. But I hit a bit of a roadblock when I realized you can't get ground chicken at Trader Joe's... Hmm. Then I spotted these and figured they would do...

I got two packages of chicken sausage. One was Sicilian Sausage and one was a spicy something or other (forgot to get a pic!)



This is where it gets a bit weird... You have to take all the ground meat out of the casings. I take a knife and run it down the length of the sausage and then kind of turn it inside out...



Do this to all of your sausages and dump them in a big mixing bowl.


...kinda gross looking, I know... but worth it, keep going!

Mix it up with a fork...


Then add an egg and mix again!


I know the sausages were already seasoned but I couldn't help but add more...


Then get out a cookie sheet and form little meatballs...


I didn't use breadcrumbs or milk like in normal meatballs because they are not Detox Diet friendly. So my meatballs are pretty wet and don't stick together that easily. Instead of browning them in a pan, I just put them right into the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes and they came out perfectly! The only difference is that they don't have a crispy outside, but they're going in soup, so it's not crucial anyways.

Pop 'em in!


Onto the soup...

I got this super handy little soup starter at TJ's. When I make it again, though, I'll add more onion, so maybe do that if you use this...


Saute the veggies in a big pot with a heaping tablespoon of olive oil...


Mix and add some salt and pepper...


I had some green onions, so I chopped them up and threw them in as well...



Once all the veggies are soft and your onions are clear, add in some minced garlic...



Then some Sriracha for some heat and general yumminess...


Stir it up and let the garlic cook for a minute or two, before adding your chicken stock...


Start by adding two cartons of stock...


Bring the soup to a boil and toss in your Detox Diet noods!



The noods take about 7 minutes to cook through and they absorb A LOT of the liquid. Keep a third carton of stock on hand, because you'll most likely need to add it. 
(I ended up adding the entire third carton)

Get your meatballs out of the oven...


Chop up some cilantro...


And make yourself a bowl!


Totally de-lish! And healthy!
It's also very satisfying because of all the protein from the chicken and the noods... I was surprisingly full after one little bowl!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment