Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Snow Queen

I'm so pale. Like SO pale. This isn't news, I know, but I seem to be at my all time whiteness peak - as in, whiter than normal, if that's possible. It's gotten to the point where my snow-white feet look suuuper weird in my black flats and I really can't wear them unless I'm also wearing tights...


I would like to be able to say it's due to the lack of sun San Francisco has been receiving, but that would be false. The sun changes me from pale to red, but any shade of bronze is out of the question. 

So with a big work event on the horizon, I was faced with the age old question... When do I schedule my spray tan? I kept putting it off because it just seemed to be getting in the way of other things I wanted to do - like hang out with the 'rents! So the day of the event finally came and I was still the same shade of pitch white...

What choice did I have but to own it? I figure, it's WINTER, in SAN FRANCISCO and my hair is (naturally, of course) RED... in all honesty, who would expect me to be anything but insanely pale?

I spent the day googling pics of Nicole Kidman and did my best to channel her when the time came to get ready...



It was hard to get used to, but I have to say I was - probably for the first time ever - satisfied with my white appearance. I credit this in large part to two little secrets...

1. I read an article about how to properly blowdry your hair like a pro... This did wonders, I kid you not. I followed instructions as best I could and the result was epic. A near-perfect blowout with all the bounce and curled ends in the world! So on the night of, all I had to do was a little tease here and there...!

2. I went to the mall with Mamma because she needed a lippy from M.A.C. While we were poking around their counters, we met the most darling little thing named Mayely who turned me OFF of eyebrow pencils and ON to the eyeshadow/concealer trick... She matched my little red brows (Saddle) and armed me with a skinny slanted brush and before I left, she made sure I had perfected the technique of filling in my brows (it took a few tries). Full, sculpted brows can literally change your whole look... And if I'm now going to face the world as a pale little ginger, then you can be sure I'm going to put my best brows forward!


At the event, though, I kept getting "You look like Anne Margret!", (rather than Nicole Kidman), which, given my love of the mod era, I can MORE than live with :)

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment