Friday, January 24, 2014

Potions Class: The Oh-So-Important Serum

Soooo, when I left you last Friday, we were chatting about toners (and embarrassing Sheba)... The next step after cleansing your face and applying your toner is a serum. This is where things get serious (and a little expensive)...

It is INSANE how important a serum is. It's also insane how many different kinds there are. Essentially, a serum is a super-concentrated combination of active ingredients that penetrates deep layers of the skin and gets instantly absorbed. It is meant to be applied to clean skin, followed by a moisturizer, every morning and night. I like to apply my serums in soft, upwards motions on my face (be careful of any vigorous motions). Sometimes I will even gently press it into my skin. ALSO: When it comes to serums and moisturizers, treat your neck as an extension of your face!

There are many different kinds to target the various skin concerns, so I like to have a few on hand and tailor them to what I think my skin needs in that moment. Basically, if you are not getting involved in some sort of serum situation, you are doing your skin a serious disservice.


My favorites...

Murad's Exfoliating Treatment Gel - I credit this bad boy to my clear and blemish-free complexion. Nary a breakout, blackhead or clogged pore can survive this powerful serum. Because it's targeted to reduce acne, it contains a powerful blend of retinol and glycolic acid. However, those two ingredients also act to stimulate cell turnover, keeping your skin young, elastic and wrinkle-free! Can be used day or night.

Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair - An incredible dream of a serum! It's rich in anti-oxidants that plump and hydrate your skin in a major way, leaving you waking up with enviable glowing and young-looking skin. Use at night.


Estee Lauder's Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator - A magical daytime serum. Didn't get enough sleep the night before? Did you wake up with kinda dull-looking skin? This is your new best friend. It smooths and evens out skintone in the most perfect way, while also giving your skin a soft, illuminating glow. It also has a fresh, cucumber-y smell which is a nice little perk for those rough, early mornings.

Lancome's Genifique - I can't really attest to this product's ability to decrease fine lines like it promises because 1, I haven't used it long enough and 2, I don't really have fine lines yet... BUT, I received a little sample of this guy and LOVED the overall brightness and tight feeling it gave to my face. When I use it, my skin looks brighter and my skintone is evened out. I like to use it the night before a day where I'll be wearing minimal to no makeup, followed by the Estee Lauder Idealist in the morning.


**I like to make myself a little cocktail mix of serums, depending what my skin needs in that moment. A typical nighttime concoction is the Murad, plus the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair.  A morning mix of potions usually involves brightening serums like the Estee Lauder Idealist or the Lancome Genifique. The powerful blend of acids in the Murad serum can cause a little redness, making it not too ideal for a morning routine... However, around the time of that monthly surge of hormones that we ladies suffer from, I like to use it morning AND night to be extra combative.

xo!

Skinspiration photos: Natasha Poly and Barbara Palvin

No comments:

Post a Comment