Friday, January 17, 2014

Potions Class: The Face Part I

To continue with all things potions, let's move on to....

The Face:

Oi, where to begin?!

Let's start with what our goals are... Besides a blemish-free and clear complexion, I am constantly aspiring to have a bright and natural glow in my skin. I am over-the-moon obsessed with a fresh face that has a creamy, glowing look to it. To me, that more natural look just exudes health and I consider it to be the height of beauty. So here's what I do to achieve it...


Cleansing: An obvious and important step. My advice is that if you've found a cleanser you love that works for you, stick with it... No need to mess with something that ain't broke. I have been using Murad's Clarifying Cleanser basically since I started washing my face, and I'm obsessed. It keeps my skin bright and clear and I'd trust it with my (blemish-free) life.

**Two tips when it comes to cleansing**
1. ALWAYS take off your makeup beforehand. Your cleanser can only do so much - do not trust it to take off all your makeup AND thoroughly cleanse and clean your skin. I like to wet my entire face with warm water, then use a Neutrogena make-up remover wipe, and THEN wash with my cleanser.
2. Use a Clarisonic, or another exfoliating tool, 3-4 times a week for a super deep clean and to completely rid your skin of impurities and dead skin.

Toner: There are varying thoughts behind the benefits and necessity of using a toner but personally, I would never go without. A trusted esthetician once told me that a toner restores the pH balance in your skin and allows for any products you put on afterwards to be completely absorbed... Now, I spend a lot of time, effort, money, you name it, in my skin products - you better believe I want every single OUNCE of my products to get absorbed!



My two favorite toners are the cult classic Caudalie Beauty Elixir, and Elemis's Balancing Lavender Toner. They're both very natural and soothing for the skin. I spray them on my skin after cleansing and allow a few minutes to absorb before the next step. The Caudalie can actually be used as a sort of refresher. I like to spray it on my face throughout the day to keep my skin glowing and refreshed. However, I'm currently out of both and using the most random product by Chanel... I can't even find a link to it! I bought it in an airport a few months back, thinking it was a cleanser... I even asked the woman at the counter all about how it worked. Later, I go to wash my face and out comes something that looks exactly like water, but smells AMAZING. Turns out it is NOT a cleanser, but some sort of "beauty water". I don't think I would recommend it, since it was far more expensive than either the Caudalie or Elemis and I don't see any real difference in my skin, but it will do in the meantime.


Also! I just bought a toner today, by Fresh. I chatted with a Fresh spokeswoman for a good 40 minutes today in Sephora, and she has me completely on board with this wholesome brand. I bought 2 products: the Rose Floral Toner and their face oil, and she gave me a million samples... I'll keep you updated on how they all work out! The rosewater toner smells amazing, though, and it really refreshes your skin like the Caudalie does... yum!

***
Shout out to my beautiful bestie and Sheba, Alanna, who's birthday it is this weekend!!
Happy Birthday, girl!! I love you like no other!
xoxo




And just to embarrass you a leetle bit...





:)

No comments:

Post a Comment