Monday, January 13, 2014

I Should Be Dancing (in the 70s)


Every now and again, I get this sense that I was born a bit too late. Roughly 20 years late. The things that inspire me most can almost all be described as "classic", and contemporary does little to nothing for me... I love old art, old music, old literature and old fashion. This was all confirmed even further when Ian and I saw American Hustle for our datenight last week.

We went to the Kabuki Sundance Theater, which is beyond fun and really takes going to see a movie to a whole new level... On the Balcony level of the theater, there is a bar where you can get yummy snacks and drinks to bring in to the theater with you!


Up we go!


Almost there...



They always have themed cocktails for the different movies showing...


Here's an older one that I thought was funny, hehe...


We just got wine and some popcorn to share... Cheers!


Ok, on to the movie... It was not the easiest plot line to follow. I found myself turning to ask Ian what was going on more times than I would like to admit...

But besides the bunch of totally fab actors, two things I LOVED about the movie were the soundtrack and Amy Adams' fashion. Back to me being born too late - one of the things that disjoints me the most from my own generation is music. Besides like two songs (maybe), I really can't get on board with the whole electronica movement. Or even pop/Top 40, to be honest.  I have never been to a rave and can confidently say it just won't ever happen... The 2014 Coachella lineup has everyone running around screaming about how totally epic it is, and meanwhile I'm playing Paul Simon's Graceland album on repeat, ha! So American Hustle had me rockin' out in my seat! I mean, ELO, Donna Summer, The Temptations, Paul McCartney, Elton John... totally KILLER. Or should I say groovy?

And ooooh, the fashion!! So retro in the best way!


The boys look a little too outdated for today's standards, but Miss Adams could certainly rock that dress. Leather is all over the place!


She wore a wrap dress in almost every scene. Most of them were quite un-wrapped, but amazing nonetheless...



The brown and white feather-printed dress she's wearing above is a vintage Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress. The designer is currently celebrating 40 years of the classic, beautiful and revolutionary 'wrap dress', and it's so fun to see the more vintage pieces come to life. I couldn't find an image of it, but in one scene, Amy's character even wore the iconic green and white dress that DVF herself donned for Newsweek in 1976 - two years after debuting the wrap dress...


For my absolute most favorite scene in the movie, she wears a gorg sparkly champagne wrap dress underneath a huge and fabulous fur coat... and goes to a disco where she dances with Bradley Cooper to Donna Summer's I Feel Love... My mind was literally BLOWN with the millions of amazing things that happened in those two minutes of the movie... I'm not embarrassed to say that I can't wait until it comes out on Netflix so I can watch that scene over and over again...


Now- where can I find myself a wide-brimmed floppy hat?! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment