Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Aw, Shucks!

I've never had an oyster! Is that crazy?? I don't really know... People either love 'em or hate 'em... there doesn't seem to be any middle ground. But, except for a few temporary jaunts across the pond, I've lived in California my whole life and yet somehow avoided the whole oyster situation entirely. Until now!

On Saturday, we celebrated the Bear Jew's birthday. And in typical Bear Jew fashion, we went all out. Enter, the Mexican fiesta party bus!


About 30 of us piled into the bus, drinks and snacks in tow, and cruised up the coast to the Tomales Bay Oyster Co.



Leaving the city in almost any direction will provide an instantaneous rise in temp. Tomales Bay was no different and I was so excited to feel the sun's warmth - I hadn't realized how long it's been! I love you, SF, but would it be so bad to warm up a bit every now and again? 

We got to our picnic tables and unloaded our goodies...


And then came the oysters...


Ian shucked the first one and was so pro, that we just gave him all the rest to do. Also, that knife looked way too intense after the two glasses of champagne I had...




We eventually had to give him a pair of gloves...



Some went on the barbecue...


And some straight in our tums!


I had expected the slippery (weird-ish) texture, but I was surprised at how much they tasted like... nothing? Really just saltwater... which I love. My roomie, Taylor, "Taylor-made" me an oyster with a squeeze of some lemon, hot sauce, pickled onions and a splash of beer... which was yummy! But the oyster itself was kinda interesting... Sorta felt like a giant tongue, on my tongue... I dunno.

Boys and their brews...



There were also so many cute pups around!





After all the oysters, we made our way down to the water where there was some serious corn-hole games going on...



Check out this model shot of the Bear Jew, himself!


After that, we all clamored to get a pic with him...



A little roomie love :)


All too soon it was time to make our way back onto the bus...





And into the city...






It was such a fun little day trip and, most importantly, the Bear Jew thoroughly enjoyed himself!

I highly recommend the Tomales Bay Oyster Co.! You can get oysters by the dozen, lemon/limes, hot sauce, shucking gloves and knives, and various other oyster shucking necessities. The only things you really need to bring are any sides, some drinks and a good attitude (shucking is not for the faint-hearted)! Making a reservation is necessary, since the picnic tables and barbecues are limited and fill up fast. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment