Friday, April 25, 2014

French Pharma Potions

It's been so long since I last talked about Potions, and man, have I missed it!
But I'm making up for it now with the mecca of all potions - the French Pharmacie! French Pharmacies are sort of like American pharmacies, except on like major steroids... They carry high-quality skincare lines that are cost and face effective! Models and beauty people all over the world ramble on and on about how it's their first stop - even before CHANEL or a pain au chocolat! So obviously, I couldn't wait to step foot into one for the first time!


Some things to note when visiting the Church of Skincare...

The saleswomen are serious people... and they know what they're talking about. They wear actual labcoats! So don't be afraid to ask questions and let them help you. There's a good chance they know more about your face by just looking at it than you do...

French woman have mastered the art of simple, skincare. The best products in the Pharmacies are basic "cold-cream" style potions, with just really great ingredients. They are very delicate with their skin; and big on creams, oils and mists... Go with it! 


Okay, on to the products!



My FAVE, FAVE, FAVE product (and probs the most famous) is the Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentrate... It is a DREAM of a moisturizer!! It's super lightweight, while also somehow being insanely rich and nourishing. I loved traveling with it since it rehydrated my tired skin from spending so much time on the plane. It left my skin smooth, soft and supple - hands down the BEST moisturizer I have ever used. I can't even think of an American version that is comparable. Net-A-Porter says it can also be used as a cleanser? Seems suspect... but cool!


The Nuxe Huile Prodigueuse (short little square bottle in the front) is a dry oil that miraculously can be used on your face, hair and bod! It is choc full of natural ingredients, essential oils and Vitamin E that all work together to nourish, repair, and soften... Um, yes please! And it's a dry oil, which means it leaves more of a satin-y finish rather than slick. Also, it smells like Heaven... Literally nothing smells better than this oil. I like to massage it on to my face after doing any one of my masks to soothe and hydrate. 

"Mists" and various thermal waters/elixirs/etc. are big in French skincare (hello Caudalie!). They are used as toners (after cleansing, before serum), but also just throughout the day as little "skin refreshers". The brand Avene is built around this "thermal essence" that is in all of their products... I would be skeptical if I didn't love them so much. The Avene Thermal Water (small aerosol bottle on the far left) claims to be effective for eczema, inflammation, burning, stinging and itching - that's a lot to ask of a bottled water than you can't even drink. And while I don't suffer from any of those, it is literally the most refreshing, soothing potion you can put on your face. Mine legit lasted me a week - I used it that much. And my skin always looked dewy and healthy and fresh.

Another one of my faves from my haul is the Bioderma Atoderm Intensive (big bottle on the far right). It is an intense, heavy moisturizing creme. Like, really thick. It's meant for like the driest skin in existence, I think. While I don't have dry skin on my face, the skin on my neck is SUPER sensitive to different lotions and perfumes. I tend to break out very easily in a rash on my neck that I have fondly named "dragon skin" for it's scaly texture (gross, I know). This creme works like a dream. I layer it on thick at night and BOOM! By morning, I no longer resemble a dragon in any way :)  This is the only creme I have found to work so effectively. I can't imagine what I'll do when it runs out ...another trip to Paree??

Avene Cicalfate (tallest bottle in the back) is a healing creme/salve that uses the magical spring water to soothe and prevent scarring. It can be used for a multitude of different skin irritations such as cuts, scratches, burns, super dry cracked skin, etc. I've even heard girls will put it on breakouts to speed the healing process, but I have not tested that theory. It's actually one of the most popular French pharma buys, but I have hardly used mine... If I find a good use for it, I'll let you know!

The Bioderma Sebium Serum (green Bioderma bottle in the front) is a serum meant for congested skin. I like to use it when my skin is feeling a little meh, usually around that oh-so-fun time of the month...! 

The last little guy I bought was La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat (smack dab in the middle), a mattifying moisturizer I'm pretty sure I bought by mistake, ha! It's a lotion for oily skin that has a matte finish. I don't have oily skin and I hate a matte finish... Ooops! La Roche Posay is an amazing skincare line and it's now pretty readily available in the US - I've seen it at Walgreens and CVS. I have their sunscreen and I'm OBSESSED. 

Phew! Got all that?!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment