Monday, April 21, 2014

All Byyyyy Myyyyself

Friday night I found myself all by my lonesome...


All my roomies and Ian had abandoned me for greener pastures (in the form of Vegas, Tucson, LA and Berkeley)! I didn't realize I was going to have to fend for myself until Ian barted away around 5 and by then, it was a little late to make any real sort of plans... A few hours in, everything was going fine and I thought This isn't so bad! But after one too many Instagram refreshes, I got fed up with myself. How can it be so hard to be alone?! Other people like hanging out with me - it shouldn't be this hard to be alone with myself. I reminded myself that it was (hopefully) just the 'Friday night' pressure of feeling like I should be out and about in the city and tried to be happy with just... well, me!

Since the kitchen has recently become my happy place, I wandered in there and started rummaging around my pantry. Next thing I knew, I had all the ingredients on my counter for the only chocolate chip cookie you will ever need to know how to make for the rest of your life... seriously...


This recipe has been floating around the internet for some time now and I see it crop up on many a blog. But it is no joke. It requires some time and patience (perfect for a night by myself) and a whole slew of ingredients (two different types of sugar AND flour!). This recipe is not for the faint of heart, but for the determined (to have the best cookie ever).



Don't forget the most important step - tasting the dough! Just to make sure it's okay!! ;)


The recipe requires you to chill the dough for 36 hours(!!) before baking, something about letting all the ingredients reallyyyy get to know each other. Anyway, I don't ask questions when it comes to these cookies, I just move on to something I can eat right now...

Enter the easiest little pizza torte of your life...!


Puff pastry (I used fillo dough... kinda the same thing-ish and still amazing) // Boursin // Toms (good ones, since they'll be starring in this dish) // Fresh Basil // Balsamic vinegar // Salt n Peppa

You can probably guess the instructions - Just make a pizza! Spread the cheese onto the dough, arrange your toms, drizzle some Balsamic vinegar, season with salt, pepper and basil...


Ooo la la, doesn't that just look mighty FINE?!


Pop it into a HOT oven (415 degrees) for about 20 mins, but maybe check it at 15 if your oven is a little testy...


Let it cool for as long as you can manage...


And dig in! Perfect with wine, but of course I had prosecco :)


In the end, I survived my lonely Friday night, and it really wasn't that hard... Friday is just another night, right?? And the beauty is that whether it went good or bad, there's always another one 7 days later. Of course, the pizza torte helped. So did the fact that I watched the first few episodes of Scandal and have a newfound obsession with Olivia Pope. How badly does she make you want to march around in chic pantsuits yelling "It's handled!" at everyone?! Plus, I bet she wouldn't be sad about spending a Friday night on her own.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment