Friday, December 27, 2013

Brekky Pizza

To quote my ever so eloquent bestie – “Brunch is life.”
In our opinion, there’s not a whole lot that can beat sitting in the sun eating a well balanced meal of eggs and champagne. We do it well, and we do it often. And while I love the tried and true brunch staple, Eggs Benny, there is one item that simply begs to be ordered whenever possible... Breakfast Pizza. I mean, just LOOK at it!




Truly divine. 

Sometime last week, the thought popped in my head that it would be quite simple to whip one up at home. Recognizing it immediately as a dangerous thought (breakfast pizza all the time!!!), I pushed it out of my head. But I couldn't shake it! So finally one morning, I relented and my worst fears were confirmed: Its the easiest darn thing and takes all of 20 minutes... So bad, but so, soooo good. Here's how I did it...

As far as I can tell, there are only two crucial ingredients: Dough (I used a pre-made dough from Whole Foods, but I've seen it at Trader Joe's too) and an egg or two - without the egg, it's just a regs pizza! The rest is just toppings! Here are the toppings I used, but really you can throw anything you want on top. Its pizza! No need to get too serious about it:...
Ricotta cheese
Caramelized onions
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Arugula
Green onions
Bacon

Preheat the oven to 475 (or whatever it says on the package). While I was waiting on the oven I caramelized some onions in a sauté pan with balsamic vinegar (way easier than it sounds). Then roll out the dough and really put your back into it to get it as thin as possible. Rub a little olive oil on the top and pop it into the oven for about five minutes to get it started. After that, I added the ricotta as a “sauce”, topped it with the caramelized onions and then cracked an egg on top (sadly, I only had room for one). Season the egg with some salt and peppa' and then back into the oven for another five minutes. I sprinkled some shredded mozzarella all over and then back into the oven for about 3-4 minutes until the cheese is all melty and gooey and the white part of the egg is completely cooked through. Garnish with arugula (I tossed my arugula in a teeny splash of olive oil and salt), green onions and some bacon and you’re good to go!

Here's another close-up... Swoon!



Its perfect for serving to a large and hungry crowd, or mornings when you’re just too lazy to even bear the 10 minute walk to your local brunch spot.

Have a wonderful weekend! Back to SF tomorrow! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment