Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Rain and Ramen

On Saturday, Ian and I braved the grey and rainy weather** to run some errands downtown...


**born and raised Californian!

He got a new pair of shoes for Europe and I got the skirt of all skirts at Anthropologie for Europe and life... I love it so much, it's going to make more than it's fair share of appearances on this blog!

After a while of trekking it up and down Union Square, we decided it was time to fuel up and ducked into a teeny tiny little ramen spot called Ramen Underground...


Ian wrote us on the waitlist with his impeccable penmanship...?


I have only recently been introduced to ramen... Ian is a major enthusiast of all things Asian; people, food, countries, etc. To say I was initially skeptical is an understatement (I mean... it's just... soup?), but it really is SO good. So much flavor and the perfect compliment to rainy weather...

The place is reeeeeally small. Like miniscule. But they somehow found a few spare square inches at the bar and seated us...



(This is literally the whole restaurant)

I think this is a menu, but obviously, I'm not 100% sure...


Now, this I'm positive is a menu ;)
You choose your base and a few toppings...


I chose a spicy soy sauce base and added lots of spinach and some chicken dumplings...


Ian got a spicy miso base and added a soft boiled egg, spicy green onions and braised pork belly...


The bowls are huge! But since it's soup, you get through most of it. I love making chicken noodle soup on rainy days but these bowls of ramen somehow have like 10 times the flavor! How do they do that?! Since I'm dating Ian (noted foodie and Asian enthusiast), I have never had bad ramen, so I don't have a lot to compare it to... But apparently this is one of the best in the city! All I can attest to is that it is absolutely AMAZING.


Literally the perfect thing to fill our tums with before heading back into the rain!



xo

No comments:

Post a Comment