Monday, June 2, 2014

So... I Made Enchiladas!

For the first time ever, and they were actually a total breeze and beyond delish! Fairly healthy too... just a lot of salsa and, of course, I really loaded on the cheese. So maybe don't do that if you're watching that waistline, you disciplined little thing!


Here's how I did it...

I gathered up all the totally no-brainer enchilada ingredients:
Tortillas
Chicken
Spanish Onion
Cheese
Cilantro
Limes
Red and Green Salsa
I also had taco seasoning in the pantry and figured, Why not?

Easy enough, right?


First thing's first, chop up that chicken into manageable bites... 


Season it up!



While looking for red salsa, I actually came across "Enchilada sauce". It may be a bit of a cheat, but really who cares if it tastes good? And I promise it does! So load up those chickens with your red sauce/salsa of choice...


Juice up some limes and toss that in the mix as well...




This is where things get a bit weird... But I looked up SEVERAL recipes and they all said to do this...

Put all the seasoned chicken into a pot and pour water over until it just covers them...



Pop onto the stove, cover, bring to a boil, and then turn the heat down to medium for 20 mins...


 If you're looking to save your dish and your kitchen, timers are everything...


While all that's cooking away, chop up some onion...


When your chicken is done, shred it up - not necessary, but it's more enchilada-y that way...


Toss your shredded chickens with your diced onion.
I was pretty skeptical about the whole 'boiling the chicken' step and was worried about losing flavor, so to compensate I added more lime juice!



AND more red sauce!


Add in your cheese...


Your filling is all set! You can also add other veggies in at this point (jalapenos, anyone?), but as this was my first attempt, I kept things pretty simple.

Get your baking dish out and start rolling up those torts!


Arrange them so they're nice and snug...


And cover/smother with your green salsa!


Load on your cheese...


Pop into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes and while it's baking, chop up your cilantro...


When it's done, the cheese should be nice and melty...


Top with the cilantro!



Serve with a side of tequila, ermm, I mean water...


Pat yourself on the back and enjoy! You just made enchiladas!


:)


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment