Friday, January 10, 2014

Potions Class: The Body



"There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this potions class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few... Who possess, the predisposition... I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."
—Professor Snape during Harry Potter's first Potions class

This blog is fairly new... And by fairly, I mean extremely :) However, I seem to have garnered somewhat of a following (thank you friends and fam!) and they have repeatedly requested an in-depth post on the multitude of potions I apply to my face and body. I have finally relented, so gear up, party people! Starting from here on out, I will be sending you off into the weekend bursting with knowledge of all things beauty. I can't teach you all those things that Snape's got up his wizard sleeves, but I will tell ya what I do know. So, down that coffee and whip out your note-taking necessities because you're going to want to remember EVERYTHING...

Let's start with an easy one... The Bod:

I say 'easy' because it really only requires one potion, thank Heavens: a super intense, moisturizing lotion rich with essential oils. For years and years, I lathered up my lanky legs and arms with the tried and true Dermalogica Ultrarich Body Cream. Yes, it's $50 and yes, it's totally worth it! Promise!


However, in the past 2 years, I have switched to my new fave, L'Occitane's Almond Milk Veil. The only real reason for the switch was that I fell in love with the scent of the Almond Milk Veil... Its Heaven bottled up! When it comes to body lotion, most people fail to realize the importance of investing in a good lotion with essential oils... The thing is, most lotions you would buy at a drugstore are made with mineral oil. Totally different situation than essential oil - An essential oil lotion will actually nourish your skin, whereas a mineral oil lotion is just a temporary "quick fix". After using essential oils on my skin for so long, I can go for several days without applying any lotion whatsoever and my skin will never feel dry.


**Tip: Before getting in the shower, I like to exfoliate my entire body with a body brushThis causes skin circulation and regeneration - it sloughs off dead skin and stimulates your cells to fight cellulite! It takes like two minutes, so I do it while I wait for the shower to get hot. Brush -don't scrub- in soft, upwards movements on dry skin, hop in the shower, then apply your lotion when you get out. The combination of the body brush exfoliation and lotion results in the ultimate silky smooth, moisturized and nourished HEALTHY skin.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment